The bed and mattress is the foundation for a great night's sleep. Therefore, it is important that your mattress gives you exactly the support and comfort that you need. This guide helps you to identify your needs and get an overview of the range of mattresses and beds at JYSK:
- Mattress pads and top mattresses
- Foam mattresses
- Spring mattresses
- Test your mattress before you buy
Bed and mattress types
The bed is a determining factor for the quality of your sleep, but not least, your bed plays an important role in your health and well-being. If you wake up with back pain, it may be a good indicator that your mattress does not give you the right support.
Mattress pads and top mattresses
The mattress pad separates the mattress from the bed linen. It protects your mattress and thereby extends its lifespan. First and foremost, the mattress pad is a washable layer that can be easily removed and washed at a minimum temperature of 60 degrees Celsius. A mattress pad thus provides you with a cleaner, healthier and more comfortable sleep environment.The top mattress is the bed's top layer. It consists of a foam or latex core and is inserted in a cover. The most important purpose of the top mattress is to enhance your individual sleeping comfort and it is therefore available in a wide range of different models.
Many of JYSK’s top mattresses contain either polyurethane. down or high-resilience foam. Both foam types provide a great deal of support and comfort. We also have a selection of top mattresses with advanced memory foam. Memory foam adapts to the body with a high level of precision and it therefore has the unique ability to prevent circulation problems as well as muscle and joint pain.
A top mattress remains close to your body as you sleep, which is why the cover also plays an essential role. There are countless top mattress types to choose from, so check the cover's material and quilting to ensure it feels soft and comfortable. Many top mattresses come with covers that can be removed and washed at 60 degrees Celsius, a temperature dust mites cannot survive at.
Advantages of choosing a top mattress
- Provides complete comfort
- Can compensate if your mattress is too hard or soft
- Protects the mattress underneath against moisture and wear
- Extends the durability of the shape of the mattress underneath
A foam mattress is a simple mattress type that is used in a bed frame. It consists of a foam core inside a fabric cover. It is ideal for customers who prefer the mattress to mould into the shape of their body.. The mattresses most crucial component is its foam core.
At JYSK we offer foam mattresses in a range of different materials
- PU foam: PU foam, which is short for polyurethane foam, is a very popular foam type that is available in varying levels of firmness and density.
- Memory foam: Memory foam is a high-quality product that adapts to the body's natural contours and prevents both circulation problems and muscle and joint pain.
- Visco gel: Visco gel is a unique cooling gel to help regulate temperature
Foam mattresses often consist of more than one layer of different types of foam, such as a core made of slightly heavier polyurethane foam and a layer of memory foam that gives the mattress an optimal level of comfort. Finally, many mattresses have a profiled top layer. This promotes air circulation when you turn over on the mattress. Some mattresses also have a built-in layer made from natural coconut. This provides support and creates proper ventilation in the mattress itself. Many of our foam mattresses can be flipped over. This allows you to use the mattresses design differently, while providing two levels of firmness in the same mattress.
The last thing you should consider when buying a foam mattress is its cover. There are countless cover types to choose from - check it to see if it feels soft and comfortable. Many foam mattresses come with covers that can be removed and washed. Washing the cover at 60 degrees Celsius kills dust mites and creates a clean sleep environment.
Advantages of choosing a foam mattress
- Foam is very comfortable and provides good support
- There are many different qualities from a light mattress as a guest bed or folding mattress to quality mattresses for everyday use
A spring mattress consists of a spring system, bolster materials and cover, which can be combined to give you a wide array of options for optimal function and comfort. It is without a solid frame and must lie on a slatted base in a bed frame. Spring mattresses are also used on adjustable beds and divan beds.
There are two types of springs which make up the core of a spring mattress:
- Bonell: Bonell springs are hourglass-shaped and made of a thick metal wire. These springs give you a mattress with a firm surface and long lifespan at an affordable price
- Pocket: Pocket springs are smaller than bonell springs. Each spring is encased in a tiny cloth pocket that protects it from wear and tear, reduces noise and makes the design more stable. With its many support points, the mattress adjusts to your body with a high level of precision to give you the utmost in comfort
The spring system is packed in a protective layer made from various materials:
- Profiled polyurethane foam: Profiled polyurethane foam is used in many models, as the material diverts moisture away from the skin if you perspire while asleep
- Coconut: Coconut is a natural material that can also be used in mattresses and it provides support and proper ventilation
- Memory foam: Memory foam is a flexible material that adjusts to the exact contours of your body. It provides unsurpassed support and can prevent circulation problems as well as muscle and joint pain
- Latex: Latex is used in some of our more advanced mattress solutions. It is highly breathable and provides both support and flexibility. This is a very good choice if you tend to get warm during the night
Many of our spring mattresses can be flipped over. JYSK often creates different firmness's on either side of the mattress, giving you the opportunity to exploit the design as you prefer. This is an advantage if you share your bed with someone who is significantly heavier or lighter than you and thus you do not prefer the same firmness. Spring mattresses are available with several different cover types – and because the materials affect both comfort and function, choosing the right cover is important. You can also select a cover that can be removed and washed. Washing the cover at 60 degrees Celsius kills dust mites and creates a clean sleep environment
Advantages of choosing a spring mattress
- The lifespan is very good because the spring mattresses can be reversed
- Most mattresses can also be used on adjustable beds and continental beds
Test your mattress before you buy
One of the most important things you should do before you buy a mattress is to try it to see if you are comfortable. Therefore, it is a good idea to choose a store that has many different mattresses to choose from, so you can try several types and firmness of mattress before you decide.
At JYSK you can try a lot of different mattresses, whilst asking our knowledgeable staff for advice before you choose your new bed. It often takes a few weeks for your body to get used to a new mattress. You can try all our GOLD mattresses for 100 nights - and if you are not 100% satisfied, you have the opportunity to exchange your mattress. Read more about the opportunity to try a GOLD mattress for 100 days here.